?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Paying for School

« previous entry | next entry »
Jun. 30th, 2006 | 09:15 am
posted by: salt_haired in cornishcollege

Hello, I'm going to be attending this september and I've lived in the Seattle area my whole life. I was wondering if currently attending students had any trouble working to pay off tuition while going to school? Does it seem like a heavy load? I ask because I am going to have to pay for the majority of tuition and other expenses by myself and don't want to find myself regretting the decision to go to Cornish when it is so expensive. I will most likely continue to live with my parents, at least at first, because we live fairly close to the school and I know I wont go hungry this way :) But have any of you who are in the same financial boat decided to get an apartment anyway and pay off the loans later? I find this tempting because I am more than ready to live on my own and live the college life otherwise. Also, any Visual Communications majors with anything to say about the department? Any comments would be appreciated, and I really look forward to starting next term. Thanks!

Link | Leave a comment | Share

Comments {4}

Ben

(no subject)

from: letmeblowya
date: Jul. 1st, 2006 06:16 am (UTC)
Link

um, if you're living at home, that's probably best. Already you'll save about $6,000 in rent for the year, and more for food.
How much is your balance for attending this coming year? How much Financial Aid did you get?
If you can, consider the monthly payment plan. It's spread across 10 months, so if your balance is $12000, it's $1200/month, which is quite pricey, but Cornish IS pricey. Humanities department sucks, by the way. You're much better off going to Seattle Central for your humanities/sciences classes, and staying at Cornish for your VisCom classes.
Also, only about 3% of Cornish's tuition is covered by endowments/donations/trustees, etc. The rest 97% is from the students' pockets.
What other schools have you considered for Visual communications?

Reply | Thread

(no subject)

from: salt_haired
date: Jul. 1st, 2006 06:54 pm (UTC)
Link

i'm not sure at the moment how much financial aid i recieved as i had to send the letter back with my acceptance of it but i know that it wasn't exactly huge. is it possible to take the humanities and sciences classes somewhere else while going to cornish? i thought i'd heard somewhere that they don't accept a lot of transfer credits which is odd. if they do then i have taken quite a few classes at the community college here for running start and maybe those would apply? i understand that cornish is expensive but i also believe that it's the best school in this area for visual comm. there was no where else inside the country that i wanted to go so i didn't bother applying anywhere else. i sort of thought about the pacific northwest college of art in portland but when you factor in the living costs it would be just as much as going to cornish. do you think it is a really good school?

Reply | Parent | Thread

Ben

(no subject)

from: letmeblowya
date: Jul. 3rd, 2006 04:00 am (UTC)
Link

you shoulda photocopied the finaid letter. or they should have sent you 2 copies.

yes its definitely posible to take H&S @ other colleges. but before you enroll in them, make sure Cornish will accept them as transfer. If they try to argue with you and convince you to take H&S @ Cornish, say "fuck you, Cornish H&S sucks". It may not be 100% true, but many Cornish friends & I for a fact had horrible experiences with our H&S classes @ Cornish (specifically, the Integrated Studies series, which new students must take)

Cornish is good for THEATRE, and kinda good for DESIGN and DANCE and ART, its OKAY for MUSIC, I never met any VisCom majors, so I really can't tell you how Cornish is for VisCom...
I'm sure there's more schools out there, though. U must continue your research!
And yes, try to get your running start classes transferred in, and argue your way in.

Reply | Parent | Thread

(no subject)

from: salt_haired
date: Jul. 3rd, 2006 04:16 am (UTC)
Link

hmm. thanks for the advice, i'll definitely look into all that. VisCom is the graphic design majors and illustration majors combined but in the design department so if art and design are good than this should be too. as far as i know, cornish and PNCA like i mentioned, are about the only decent schools in this area for this major. i don't want to go to seattle art institute or any of those commercial schools cause i don't feel that they are as high of quality and they are more for animation anyway. from what i gather what you make of your experience is what you get out of it, but it's not like the resources aren't there at cornish.

Reply | Parent | Thread